Friday, October 30, 2009

Sweet As The First Bite


Yesterday, my Mom and I met with the baker for my wedding and got the cake details set. Hip-hip-hooray! It was good to finally get that part of the wedding planning settled and marked off my ever-growing list of "Things To Do." We decided on a four-tier white cake with white buttercream icing that will look remarkably similiar to the picture on your left. <---- A few slight modifications... such as nix-on-the-red-flowers and yes-to-the-blue-dogwoods-and-white-lilies-instead. So, we have that taken care of.

But I've been thinking of wedding cakes ever since yesterday's meeting. I've been thinking about what the wedding cake means. For example: It's the first food the couple eats together. They feed the cake to one another, a symbol of being one flesh and sharing everything from that moment on; also a symbol of caring for the other. And... the cake is sweet.

I'll never forget last year at a friends' wedding, after the cake was cut and the happy bride and groom were sitting at their table eating, my Mom walked up to them and said, "I hope that your marriage and all the years to come will be as sweet as that first bite of wedding cake." Though it wasn't said to me, I'll never forget it.

The wedding cake is sweet! Fluffy cake, sweet-tasting icing.....sugar. :) If you'll indulge me, I'd say wedding cake is kind of a neat picture of salvation. It's beautiful and it's sweet.

May we always be mindful of the goodness of salvation...the sweetness of salvation. May each day of our walk with Christ be as sweet as the first. May it never dry up and become stale, but always fresh, always delightful to the taste.

John 15:11
"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."


1 comment:

  1. What a precious blessing your mom gave us! It has been sweet, Kris... sometimes hard, but so so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails