Thursday, November 5, 2009

Veiled

FYI - I love my veil!!

Random, I know. To be quite honest, I've tried on my wedding veil more than I've tried on my dress. Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE MY DRESS!! ....but I'll save my dress adoration for another post. Right now, I'd love to tell you how much I dearly love my veil...and why.

When I hear brides talking about their wedding, I hear them gush about their groom, I see them glow about their dress, and I see the sparkle in their eyes when discussing the ring. I hear the excitement mixed with stress when talking about invitations, flowers, food, parking, and dozens of other things. But when I think of it, I rarely hear a bride go on and on about her wedding veil.

Well... I'd like to. :)

Besides being long and lovely and simply beautiful, the veil shows the bride's modesty. It shows respect for the man and for God, and her respect for the sacredness and sanctity of the marriage covenant.The veil in the temple was rent when Christ died on the cross. This was to show us that Christians have free access to God. Since marriage is a picture of the relationship between Christ and the believer, the removing of the veil after being pronounced as husband and wife represents the fact that a sinner who comes to Christ is no longer separated from God. It also indicates that the husband and wife now have full access to each other which they should not have had prior to marriage.

So the veil is quite amazing, to say the least.

Ever since I was a little girl, my Dad and Mom instilled in me the importance of modesty. Of course, at 10 and 11 years old, modesty was easy enough and not something I would even think much about. At that age, I was more concerned over memorizing and learning school work and AWANA, and reflecting on all the reasons I thought boys were gross. But when 15 and 16 came along, modesty was something I had in my mind every time I dressed. While friends would wear mini-skirts, and cleavage-bearing blouses, I would do my best to dress modestly. I didn't want guys ogling me, I didn't want to complete in the game of attracting guys that modern girls love to play, but most of all I didn't want to disgrace the Lord. My mouth professed to be a Christian. And I didn't want my body to showcase something different.

One beautiful picture of modesty that I've always used is the story of Rebekah in Genesis chapter 24. After a long and beautifully romantic story of how Abraham sent his servant to find a bride for his son, Isaac, Rebekah is found...and now she is on her way to meet her husband - a man she's never even seen! After what I'm sure was a looooooooong journey, at last they arrive. Isaac sees Rebekah and Rebekah sees Isaac. But instead of pulling up her skirt just a little to show off her legs, instead of applying CoverGirl's new red rose color of lipstick, and instead of adjusting her outfit to show every curve God gave her - INSTEAD of the modern approach - she took a veil and covered herself.

And I say beautiful! Would that we all were like Rebekah.

1 Peter 3:3-4 -
"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

I remember something my Dad told me long ago regarding modesty. In one of our many talks, I remember asking, "How do you know when something is modest or not?"

I'll never forget his answer. He leaned back and said, "Let me just say this.... If you try, you will."

I stared at him. Then he said, "If you try to dress to attract the eyes, then you will. But if you try to glorify God with how you dress.... if you try to be modest... then you will."

Profound, yet completely and utterly simple. I've tried to live on that principle ever since.


...if I determine to live my life for the glory of God—that will affect why
I wear what I wear. It will make me think about what I wear, not just go to the store and pick up whatever is the current style. - Nancy Leigh DeMoss


I can't say I've been a success in looking 100% modest all of my 23 1/2 years. But I can say that I have desired to be modest....for many reasons.

* To honor my parents

* To dress respectfully and ladylike, so I will be treated as such

* To showcase God's beauty and loveliness in the way I dress

* To obey His commandments

* To please Christ

.....I could go on.


I Timothy 2:9 -
"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;"

I'm anxious to put on my veil again. Maybe I will tonight! Or maybe I'll wait....

Maybe I'm a bit too excited about my veil, but I see such beauty in the symbolism of it. It covers the bride... a picture of how she has, hopefully, been all her life. Which is modest.

The veil isn't just about beauty and girlyness. That's icing on the (wedding) cake! No, it's really a beautiful picture of modesty. The modesty of the bride, the groom....and even the marriage.

Veiled is good!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful comparison!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails