Thursday, December 17, 2009

Savin' The Kissin'



I was skimming through channels and stopped on the Disney Channel just long enough to watch a dialog between two friends on a well-loved afternoon TV show. The friends, a boy and a girl, were discussing their first kiss. The girl recounted her first kiss and when all eyes turned to her friend, he said, "I haven't had my first kiss yet." GASP! Of course, my attention was fixed, awaiting the response. When the girl's eyes changed from shock to softness, and when she said, "I think that is really sweet," I was pleasantly surprised. I was almost ready to endorse such a show when the boy rolled his eyes and said, "It's not sweet! It's lame!" Disappointed, I shook my head.

Regardless of what the secular media dishes out, a kiss is something special, something meaningful. Of course, nowadays it's almost become mandatory for every young boy and girl to kiss before the end of middle school, in order to be inducted into the "real world" of "cool" and not be sentenced to endure High School as "the lame one." And what a shame too.

I've seen it quite often lately. When watching an audition for American Idol, a handsome 19 year old guy with a stunning voice was ridiculed and then later rejected by the judges because he said he was saving his first kiss for his future wife. Heaven forbid we have an entertainer who doesn't desire to be held up as a sex-symbol, right? But to go as far as to say that they want to save a kiss for marriage? Scandal!

When I was 13 years old, I made the comittment to save myself for marriage; to refrain from sexual intimacy until my wedding night. In addition to that comittment, I also decided that I would save my first kiss for my wedding day. When I made those comittments, there was no applause and no "Good for you!" remarks. There were, however, a great display of rolling eyes, and a near-constant "reminder" that such a thing was just not realistic. I beg to differ. Here I am at 23, content, happy, and engaged to a wonderful man who values purity as the treasure it is. I have no string of fella's behind me, to compare with my husband. I am not, nor have I ever wished I could take back such a dreadful comittment. Quite the opposite, I'm elated, blessed, and very thankful to God for His strength and His grace. It IS realistic. In every generation, there are a few who value a kiss, who view it as a priceless treasure, and something to be given to only one. In every generation, there are a few who chose to guard their kiss, protect it, save it. And they do! If your role models are Paris Hilton, Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake, I guess such a thing does seem absurd. It usually is to the world. But if your role models are among the likes of Sarah Edwards, Jim Elliot, The Ludy's and Amy Carmichael, then such a thing is quite normal. If a heart is set towards God's way of holiness, purity, sacredness, and honor, and saving a kiss? That's the thing to do!

P.S. Personally, I believe standing in a gown of pure white on my wedding day, and taking my man as my husband, then giving to him - and only him - my first kiss is definitely NOT lame. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm so encouraged by these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails