Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Do

Almost two years ago, one of my dearest friends got married. Upon her engagement some months before, she and her fiance' asked me to write them a song, then sing it at their wedding. My first thought? YAY!!!! My second thought? Goodness, what an honor! My third thought? Oh dear....how am I going to do that?? After weeks of writing down one-liners and humming various tunes, I was ready to give up. I couldn't seem to write what needed to be written. It needed to capture their story but I also wanted it to inspire anyone listening. Then one night, the entire song hit me out of the blue! As I ran around my room stumbling, trying to find a notebook and a pen, the beautiful message flooded my heart. And I wrote a song entitled, "I Do." Below are the lyrics and an audio link to the song. I hope it blesses you!

Thinking of my wedding, wedding vows, and my life (past, present, and future), this song has been on my heart. It's a story, but it's also an invitation. No matter what you have done or haven't done, God Himself, the Author of Love, offers to you a choice: to keep the pen of your life and write your own story your own way, or to give the pen to Him and let His hands script the most beautiful love story of all! It's up to each of us.

And just like in our vows to our groom, we can say "I don't" ....or "I do!"







More Kristen Lisemby music on iLike




Vs 1
When I was but a child
The Father came to me, as I played
And He looked upon the pages of my life
And saw the mess I'd made
He spoke so tenderly
And told me of a beautiful dream
Filled with passion pure and true
A sweet romance, where waiting was the key

And He spoke of a love song
A story beyond compare
And said, "My child, this could be yours too"
Do you want me to write your story for you?
And I said -


Chorus:
I do, I want You to write my story
Filled with Your beauty and Your glory
Here's the pen
I do, I want You to have control
Of my heart, my mind, my whole
I do, I do



Vs 2
As the days turned to years
I longed for the love to begin
And there were many lonely nights and restless days
That I never thought would end
From time to time, I'd wonder
If there really was a fairytale for me
And I would long to take the pen from God's own hand
To script what I wanted to be

But then I'd hear a gentle voice
Speaking softly to my heart
And God would say, "Hold on, remain true!"
"Don't you want see the blessings I have for you?"
And I said -


Chorus


Vs 3
And now here I stand
The waiting is now no more
I've been faithful, I've been true, and now I know
What I've been waiting for
To think I ever doubted
My Lord's faithfullness
His hand was always there, scripting out
All His many promises

If I had taken up the pen,
And started writing on my own
I never would have found
All the blessings I have now

So darling, here's my story
This is my life's song
Written just for you
From this day on, it's God, me and you


Chorus 2:
I do, I take you in my story
To God be the glory!
He holds the pen
With you, I will walk hand-in-hand
Through raging seas, through sinking sand
I do, I do

1 comment:

  1. That song was such a special part of our wedding, Kristen. Thank you SO much! I'm so glad the Lord gave it to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails