Monday, February 22, 2010

Showers of Blessings

Whew! It's been a while since I've written. Well since my last post, we have...

* Decided on the photography
* I have ordered the bridesmaids gifts
* I have recieved the flower girl gifts and the Wedding and Reception signs to put up!
* I have been working on the slideshow we will show of Grant and I
* We have bought the favors and the rest of the flowers
* AND I have had my first shower!

WHEW! Time is starting to fly by in a furry! Only 55 more days!

My first wedding shower was this past Saturday and, I must say, I was so blessed! It was given by my fiance's mom and he and I received so many beautiful gifts! I was stunned, as I walked into the house and saw all the food, the flowers, the friends, and so many gifts waiting.

As I was packing up the gifts and loading them into our suburban, I began to think on the meaning of a shower. Why is it called a "shower?" Why is a shower even given??
Of course, a shower is given out of love and it is when gifts are bestowed upon the person or couple to celebrate a wonderful time in life (i.e. wedding, baby, etc). It's an event where family and friends "shower" you with gifts....with little blessings. I thought on that for a while, and again when I got home and went through all the gifts again. Throughout this blog, I have tried to liken every phase of my engagement and wedding planning to some beautiful spiritual thing. Becoming engaged is a symbol of when we say "Yes" to our Heavenly Bridegroom, Christ Jesus. Sending out the invitations are a picture of Christ's invitation to us all to "Come!" and be saved. The wedding dress is a symbol of purity, the veil a symbol of modesty... on and on it goes. And a wedding shower? Well, I liken it to the "showers of blessings" that God rains down on us every day. Think about it...

Every day, He gives us the breath of life.

Every day, He offers the beauty of the world to us to enjoy.

Every day, He is there to guide our path.

Every day, He is there to lean on when the storms thunder around us.

Every day, He gives us an opportunity to love and serve Him better.

On and on it goes. He SHOWERS us with blessings of every kind. The other day, I felt overwhelmed as women and ladies surrounded me and I opened one present after another, exclaiming over them and feeling honored and so touched by their kindness and generosity. .....But how often do we exclaim over the gifts the Lord gives us? Do we daily sit in awe of the blessing stacked in our corner? Do we daily send a "thank you" to our Heavenly Father for one more day to live and love Him? Do we daily feel overwhelmed at His great love?

If you're like me, you fail many times in that department. But, if you're like me, you also have a passionate drive to try harder every day.

Join me in trying to remember those blessings that Jesus showers upon you as each new morning dawns. And brides? When you're opening up all those great wedding presents, remember the presents that Your Heavenly Bridegroom gives you every day.



Deuteronomy 28:2
And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.

Ephesians 1:3
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails